Dear SWC members,
The Southwest Conference is pleased to announce the addition of St. Edward’s University to the SWC. SEU’s official statement to their supporters announcing their admission into the SWC stated, “St. Edwards University Rugby Football Club is proud and honored to compete against the best College rugby teams in Texas. SEURFC has rapidly ascended the Texas College rugby divisions and we are excited to be the first sport from SEU to compete Nationally in Division 1.” SWC is pleased that SEU has made a commitment to seeking a higher level of competition in the SWC. SWC Board of Members voted to accepted the resignation of Sam Houston State University just last week. SHSU informed SWC that they were leaving the SWC, contrary to their three (3) year commitment. All SWC Charter Members, including SHSU agreed to a 3-year commitment when forming the SWC just over a year ago. USA Rugby has been notified of their departure, as well as SWC’s decision to admit SEU. As a matter of coincidence, SHSU was the only non-DI university in the SWC; SEU’s admission fills that void as well.
The Southwest Conference is organized and administrated by its member clubs and seeks to raise the standard of rugby within the SWC for all participants; players, coaches and referees. SWC Member Clubs are dedicated to providing for themselves a Conference that seeks to not only improve its membership, but provide a stable and competitive platform to help further develop and improve collegiate rugby programs committed to the SWC. SWC will strive to achieve these goals through marketability, exposure and sponsorships, as well as seek competitions with other collegiate conferences. SWC efforts this past year and those going forward have and will include:
- Fall 7s Series for 2012 leading to SWC Championship Tournament and pathway to USA College Rugby 7s Championships
- Pathway to USA Rugby XVs Championships
- Referee Development Program
- Each SWC Club certifies at least one new referee per year
- SWC provides Match films to Texas Rugby Referee Association (TRRA) for referee evaluation and development
- Referee evaluations submitted to TRRA by SWC Coaches
- Naming of All-SWC Team (Named through evaluation and voting of SWC Member Selectors from each SWC Team)
- Seeking competition from other USA Collegiate Conferences
- Seeking competitions for All-SWC team with other All-Conference Teams
- Hosting SWC Invitational XVs in Fall 2012
- Conference film sharing program
- Working with Texas Rugby Referee Association to provide match films for evaluations and referee development
- SWC Press Releases to national rugby media outlets and SWC Campus News agencies
- SWC cooperates with Texas GU to provide an unbiased and experienced disciplinary structure for its members
- SWC cooperates with Texas GU & TRRA to provide certified Match Officials to its members at a low, fixed cost
- Communications with University Club Sports administrators in an effort to help facilitate a better working relationship with SWC Clubs and their own University administration(s);
- Provides branded merchandise to member clubs
- Match Balls provided to SWC Member Clubs by DNA Sports
- Provides sponsorship through DNA Sports, which provides:
- Custom designed team apparel at discounted rates.
- On-Line Team Stores – DNA Sports builds and maintains each participating club it’s own custom designed on-line store.
- All authentic Club apparel available for purchase to members, supporters, alumni and the general public.
- Profit-Sharing-DNA Sports’ provides these SWC teams a direct source of fund raising, by sharing a percentage of profits from each individual on-line team store’s sales with that particular team.
- Provides All-SWC Kit, among others. DNA Sports also provides each participating club their own custom designed on-line store, making authentic Club apparel available to members, supporters, alumni and the general public. DNA Sports’ provides these SWC teams a direct source of fund raising, by sharing a percentage of profits from each individual on-line team store’s sales with that particular team
For questions & comments regarding St. Edwards Univ. can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions & comments regarding SWC can be directed to SWC Commissioner: email@example.com