Board Notes – 1/18/16

At the request of our members the TRU Board will be releasing their monthly board call minutes and notes. View all of the archived minutes or read on for the 1/18/16 notes:

  • Roll Call
    • Parker
    • Tomsak
    • Turner
    • Tate
    • Corrigan
    • Butch
    • Courtney
    • Young
  • Follow Ups from last call
    • ID Cards or enforce book check (Phil Camm)
      • Tate: Alan Sharpley has come up with a system that he’d like us to review. We could use it as a pilot with D1 men. Rather than doing a book check, he’s created a PDF of all the same information and did the check digitally. We tested it this weekend at the Austin Black vs Austin Huns match. I am a bit concerned about security but rather than spending money to create ID cards, this is something to consider.
        • Corrigan: Sounds like a good idea, the ID cards price was pretty hefty.
        • Tate: I’ll continue to explore this and we can revisit at our next call.
    • Operating Procedures Draft
      • Young is working on draft from Alan (for RRRC input) and will try to have a final one this week.
        • Tate: Ok, I’d like to try and do an electronic vote before our next TRU Board Call (2/15/16). Any objections?
          • Corrigan: Electronic sounds good.
    • Ruck Science Sponsorship
      • Tate: This has been approved, Tim is providing us images etc and so we are pretty close. Tim sent Wendy and I a press release so that will go up on the web soon.
        • Young: I confirmed access to Feedburner so we can logo that up. I can post the press release as well.
    • Budget
      • Tate: We approved additional budget line items last call (TRRA grant) and we do have some additional grant requests to consider tonight.
  • Grants
    • Nick James (Player/NASCs) – requested $600
    • Danesha Shipman (Player/NASCs) – requested $275
      • Tomsak: I move to approve both of these at $250 (normal grant reimbursement) for a total of $500.
      • Tate: Second. Any objections? None. APPROVED.
    • Women’s Tournament (Jan 30) – requested $1000 / amended to $400
      • Young: We’ve had a reduction in teams, only 3 are attending. As a result the field fees would be all we need to cover, so we’re requesting only $400. We are also using this event as a training event for the new female referees.
        • Tate: So we could call this a player and referee grant in effect.
        • Butch: I move that we approve for $400.
          • Turner: Second
          • Tate: Any objections?
            • Corrigan: I object. I’m all for the TRU funding development tournaments but this tournament was not billed as that.
              • Tate: You’re concerned that this sets a precedent that would be detrimental. Correct?
                • Corrigan: Correct.
                • Young; If you read the grant request, it is solely about development.
                • Corrigan: Ok, I’m just concerned about the wormhole.
          • Tate: We have a budget for grants of $1500 and we haven’t hit that yet this year. I don’t know what else may be coming up later in the year. Wendy, do you know any?
            • Young; Potentially the WJAA could have some invites from Texas (SWWC) and then NASCs in November again.
            • Tate: Nov would be the next budget, so this doesn’t seem like a budget buster.
            • Tomsak: I kind of understand what Corrigan is saying, what’s to stop any team from asking for this? I think if they are doing it for development then it’s a good thing.
            • Tate: I’m looking at this as women’s rugby is still growing in Texas and we need to be supporting them and referees as well. I think it’s worth a shot and we can see what value it brings.
              • Tomsak: I move to vote on a $400 grant for the women’s tournament.
              • Tate: Any objection to moving forward with a vote?
                • Tomsak: Approve
                • Corrigan: Approve
                • Butch: Approve
                • Turner: Approve
                • Parker: Approve
                  • APPROVED
    • TRRA Grant for an additional $5,000 (Corrigan)
      • Corrigan: I requested an additional $5000 as we’ve already approved $5000, for a total of $10,000. The referee leadership is looking to purchase Solo Shot cameras that automatically track the referee on the field and can be mic’d up. This would allow the referee coaches to mentor and coach more referees than ever before. This would accelerate our referee development and this will be a great recruiting and retention tool.
        • Tate: Is this camera showing a referee perspective?
        • Butch: No, it includes a 30 ft tripod and syncs with a unit that the referee is wearing. It locks in on the referee and tracks them (you choose the width it shoots from). We can have a camera in each region so that every referee gets film. This will help us at all levels, we can develop locally and we can send the footage to National Performance Evaluators.
          • Young; You can also get referee audio by putting a mic on it.
        • Tomsak: How much do the units cost?
          • Butch: Let me check with Scott Green, he has been handling this.
        • Tate: So if we suddenly have lots of film, do we have enough referee coaches to watch and evaluate?
        • Butch: Great question, we have an upcoming PR course in Dallas (first time it’s been offered in 3 years) that has 4-5 TRRA referees attending and we have 7-8 CMOs already.
        • Tate: I personally am positively inclined to the request, as Tomsak stated, we do have some extra money. Referee development only helps us. We need some hard numbers around what the cameras cost and
        • Courtney: I think it’s a great idea, the audio is critical for discipline. The video can then be used for disciplinary purposes as well. Beyond that, the referee development is going to be huge. Let’s get one unit and test it out to see if this works.
        • Tomsak: I think one good aspect that hasn’t been mentioned is that this film could be sold to the teams or parents.
        • Tate: Lets get some pricing and unless there are strong objections, we can put together a refined proposal for review. Any objections? None.
  • Alliance forfeits
    • Young: They’ve had 2 forfeits and are rescheduling matches now.
    • Tate: Alliance had several players that CIPP’d at large for a social tournament and haven’t CIPP’d with Alliance. Wendy and USAR have gone round and round about how they need to fill out a form and pay TRU dues…While this was going on, I had a similar situation and had a player transferred to my roster in under 72 hours. I have very little sympathy for Alliance’s excuses for how difficult this has been.
      • Young: We’ve also let Alan know from a RRRC perspective and Otis and Travis have spoken to the teams. We have moved them to the bottom of the list for referees, treating them as friendlies until they can sort this out.
  • Hall of Fame (Corrigan)
    • Corrigan: I would like the Board to approve a TRU Hall of Fame and roll it out by August. I’ll email out a rough draft with some more thoughts later. This would extend to all former and current TRU members, let’s honor them!
      • Tate: I doubt anyone will object, but it sounds like there is quite a bit of work to do. Are you just looking for an OK to move forward? Or do you have a budget request?
      • Corrigan: I would like approval from the Board to continue the process, and would like input from the Board.
      • Young: Roll out at the Summit? Might entice more people to come.
      • Tate: Yes! Any objections to pursuing this? None. APPROVED.
  • Congress Recap (Young)
  • Nominations for Two At-Large Positions on the USA Rugby Board Of Directors
    • Tate: If you have someone who you think should be nominated, let’s get their name in there.
  • All Stars
    • Tomsak: We held a memorial event this weekend in Shreveport with a few college teams and were able to fundraise. Some of our sponsors asked if we could make the event bigger next year and they would support it. I emailed Fil and spoke with Wendy briefly to see if we could get a match in Shreveport in 8-9 months?
      • Tate: I think that’s an easy answer, we approved money for this fiscal year and it’s still there. This is an event that we want to do, a festival event with college, women’s and men’s teams.
      • Young: We’ve have severe challenges with getting teams to commit, so we need to be careful.
      • Tomsak: I’ve already contacted the South All Stars and Life University (women) and they are both interested. Ok, so I’ll move forward.
      • Young: Mid-America women have expressed interest as well, I spoke with KJ Abel at Congress. I’ll pass on her info to you.
  • Gold Cup – March 2016 at Keller Sports Park
    • Young: I need the dates?
    • Tate: I’m pretty sure it’s March 12 and 13.
    • Young: Ok, I’ll confirm with Alan Sharpley and Jeff Kolberg.
  • New business
    • Player names CMS (Corrigan)
      • Corrigan: I guess players can sign up as a nickname? I had a hard time finding a player’s real name?
        • Tomsak: You can input a first and last name and a nickname. It defaults to the nickname for some reason.
        • Courtney: We are running into an issue with this on the disciplinary side as well. It seems like players are using their nicknames instead of their first name?
        • Butch: At NDS this weekend, we got the LRO Chairs together and discovered that players are registering under new email addresses if they have a disciplinary sanction. The system isn’t catching them by DOB or any other factors.
    • Rugby Texas Disciplinary Committee
      • Courtney: I’ve been added to the Rugby Texas disciplinary board, so we are all streamlined now between the TRU, SWC and Rugby Texas.
  • Meeting adjourned at 9:43pm
Shares 0
0 Shares
Share
Tweet