Atavus Player Camp – Dec 9-10, 2017
This two-day USA Rugby Academy Training Camp will establish a strong technical foundation for game understanding, accelerated skill acquisition, and encourage athletes to apply their technique under increased pressure, and act instinctively in both attack and defense. Available for male and female athletes ages 14+ (players are segmented by age and ability).
Our Coaching Philosophy
- Develop instinctive athletes
- Maximize player potential
- Prepare athletes to achieve their goals
- Train skills necessary for the modern game
We train an attacking mindset by creating an environment where athletes see opportunity and are encouraged to experiment. We want every athlete to leave an Atavus program feeling inspired and wanting the ball in their hands. We focus on developing the critical skills necessary to get behind the defensive line using vision, awareness, and creativity. Our process is player centered and outcome-oriented, driven from the ‘why’. Skills are trained through a combination of technical execution, pressure, and context to accelerate skill development and fortify transfer from training to game day.
Developing Modern Rugby Athletes
- Get behind the line: Step off both feet, and accelerate into space through contact.
- Maintain and preserve space: Pass off both hands at the right time, with the correct weight & manage their alignment, foot-speed & running lines to achieve the desired outcome.
- Create and manipulate space: Read the micro & macro cues of the defense.
- Give life to the ball
: Keep the ball alive through offloading, inject energy with effective support lines, create fast ball.
- Manage defensive situations confidently, regardless of space and mismatches: Track & tackle effectively off both shoulders, and understand how to manage space to their advantage.
- Slow down opponent’s attacking ball to regain advantage: Effective & deliberate actions post contact.
Coaching Education Seminar – Dec 9-10, 2017
USA Rugby Core Competencies
Accelerating Skill Development in key areas through maximizing the coaching process
- Overview of USARA Program
- Skill outcomes & core actions
- Coaching process & activity selection
- Core activities used in USARA Eagle Track
- Plan for integrating a variety of levels
Classroom session: Hampton Inn Austin North @ I – 35 & Hwy 183
Date: December 8th
Field session: Burr Field 6013 Loyola Ln, Austin, TX 78724
Date: December 10th