Nominations are now being accepted for the TRU Hall of Fame Class of 2021. The submission deadline is May 15. Induction ceremonies for the 2020 and 2021 class will be held later this fall/winter at a to be confirmed location.
You can find complete instructions for making a nomination below. Since many of our more senior members do not regularly visit the TRU website, please forward this information to your various lists and post on your social media pages so we can have a large number of quality nominations.
We urge everyone considering a nomination to review these two example nominations: http://texasrugbyunion.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Example-HOF-Entry.pdf.
Current Hall of Fame members and TRU officers will serve as voters in the selection process. They have identified the following criteria on which they will base their decision:
- Longevity of service
- Diversity of roles and areas of service (player, coach, referee, administrator, supporter, etc.)
- Visibility (recognition on a regional, national, international stage, bringing honor to Texas rugby)
- Skill, achievement as a player
- Leadership in some or all the above categories.
- Character; difficult to define, but easy to recognize
Note: Candidates for whom achievement can be shown in multiple criteria will have the best chance of election. Candidates who check only one or two boxes should have outstanding credentials in those particular areas.
This is a TEXAS Hall of Fame and it is important to understand that while many worthy candidates have been incomparable leaders — and even legends with a single club — successful candidates will be those who have a record of achievement at the state and higher levels. Clubs are encouraged to form their own Hall of Fame — as many have – to make sure all those deserving of recognition are honored.
Other important information:
- Nominations do not roll-over from previous years; candidates who were on previous HOF ballots but not elected do not automatically remain on the ballot. Feel free to nominate candidates from previous cycles
- No more than one nomination per person will be accepted
- Multiple nominations (several people nominating the same candidate) will not be accepted. In the event dual nominations are received, we will either put the nominators in touch with each other so they can submit a single nomination, or the most complete submission will be sent to voters. Submitting multiple nominations will not enhance chances for election.
IMPORTANT: In the nomination form, please include a full and complete narrative of your candidate addressing as many of the criteria (above). Include name of clubs played for and years of service; offices held in the club(s) and at the state and other levels; select sides and other playing honors; service as a coach, referee, trainer, supporter, etc., and any particularly noteworthy contributions to Texas rugby or the sport overall. This narrative is your chance to fully explain to the voters why your candidate should be elected and should be more than just a few sentences.
Once the Hall of Fame voters have selected the new class, the members-elect will be contacted by a HOF member informing him/her of their election. Nominators of candidates not selected will be notified before the voting results are made public.
We are here to help. If you have any questions about the selection process or submitting a nomination, contact Paul Mabry. If you need guidance on what to include in your narrative, either he can help or arrange for a HOF representative to reach out to you with assistance.
Thanks for your participation.
For more information about the TRU HOF go to: http://texasrugbyunionhof.com/