We had planned to honor our 2017 Hall of Fame class in September 2017 but that celebration was postponed due to Hurricane Harvey. As a result we’ve moved the event and paired it with the 2018 Red River Rugby Conference Championships. The RRRC Championships are May 4-6 and we’ll be honoring the inductees on May 5, 2018.
Hall of Fame Banquet & Hotel Block
The Hall of Fame Banquet will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin [6505 N Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78752 –MAP]. We’ll have a cocktail hour at 6:30 PM and dinner in the Phoenix South room starting at 7:30 PM on May 5, 2018.
6:30 PM – Cocktail Hour
7:00 PM – HOF Banquet Dinner & Presentations
We’ve also reserved a special room rate for the event and bookings will be available until April 27th or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
Booking a reservation is simple using this link: http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/groups/personalized/A/AUSLNDT-TRU-20180504/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
We do recommend booking ASAP as there are several other events in Austin that weekend (iHeart Festival among others) and hotels are already full. Once you’ve made your reservations and you wish to cancel, please do so 48 hours before arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.
Tickets are $50 a head and must be purchased by Apr 30, 2018. Click the ‘Add to Cart’ button below and you can pay through Paypal or use the credit card option on the screen. If you would prefer to purchase directly, please email Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Semi-formal or “Black Tie Optional”
We will be honoring all of the HOF Inductees prior to the 2:00 PM match at Burr Field on May 5, 2018. All HOF members are encouraged to attend!
For more information on the RRRC Championships, go here: http://texasrugbyunion.com/rrrc-championships/
- Ehrhardt III, Charles – Houston Rugby Club
- Garner, Lee – Houston Old Boys
- Kolberg, Jeff – Dallas RFC
- Latham, Bob – Dallas Harlequins
- Mabry, Paul – Galveston and Texas XXX’s
- Niece, Al – Austin RFC
- Nixon, John V. (Ian) – Dallas Harlequins
- Puentes, Carlos – Austin RFC
- Wolfinger, James – St. Thomas High School RFC
- Woodfin, William – Dallas RFC
Will be held in late September or October. More details soon!
In the HOF’s inaugural year 16 individuals were nominated and 10 were inducted. We celebrated these former players, coaches and administrators of the TRU with a banquet that had over 100 attendees!
- Gail Tennant
- Alan Sharpley
- Nelson Spencer
- Chris Chefchis
- Richard Prim
- Dave Chambers
- Gandolf Burrus
- Tracy Moens
- Dave Jenkins
- Barry Waite
View the 2016 HOF Presentation deck with a collected history and photos from the inductees.
See more photos by Norma Salinas: https://www.facebook.com/norma.salinas.104/posts/10154085395949261
In 2016 we were ecstatic to introduce the Texas Rugby Union Hall of Fame, a year-long celebration of individuals whose lives or careers are inextricably woven into the fabric of our history. In the first year, we inducted 10 nominees and we will look to induct up to ten members each following year.
- All TRU members past and present are eligible.
- It is highly recommended that nominees are submitted based on their “body of work” and growth of rugby in the Texas Rugby Union. If the individual was only involved in one area (example as only a player or just a coach) the submission would have to be that much more extraordinary to be considered.
Selection and voting of the HOF members will be done by current HOF members and TRU Board members.
- Nominees cannot vote for themselves and will be required to recuse themselves.
- Each voter will select their top five nominees in order from top to bottom, with a one as their highest pick. After tabulation, the top five most voted will be inducted into the HOF.
- Votes will be collected digitally and announced on the TRU website.
Hall of Fame Banquet
Inductees will be honored at an annual Hall of Fame banquet in conjunction with the TRU Summit on the Game. We welcome all HOF members, nominees, their families and TRU members to join us in celebrating each class.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.