Job Description: The Rugby Texas Girls’ Rugby Development Officer is responsible for growing all aspects of youth and high school rugby for girls in the greater Houston area through the creation and implementation of a development plan. This position will work closely in support of Rugby Texas staff, USA Rugby Youth and High School Department Staff, key stakeholders and partners to ensure the successful delivery, development, monitoring and evaluation of key girls’ rugby projects, in line with Rugby Texas’ Strategic Plan.
• Researching and identifying sport, recreation and health initiatives for girls in Houston.
• Planning and implementing a strategic plan specific to the development of girls’ rugby in Houston for youth and high school levels.
• Coordinating, delivering and promoting relevant girls-specific activities, classes and events, often within a specific community.
• Employing, training, supporting, developing and managing coaches and volunteer staff.
• Raising public awareness of health and fitness issues and promoting participation in girls’ rugby, particularly amongst underrepresented groups.
• Evaluating and monitoring activities and projects using performance indicators.
• Maintaining records and producing written reports.
• Attending local, regional and national meetings, seminars and conferences.
• Liaising with clubs to develop best practices in coaching, youth development and girls-specific issues.
• Working in partnership with school initiatives to encourage girls’ participation in rugby.
• Developing a range of partnerships with organizations and initiatives focused on girls’ participation in sport and activity.
• Working with Rugby Texas staff to manage resources and a budget and identifying potential opportunities for external funding for girls-specific initiatives.
• Maintaining links with state, regional and national sporting representatives and organizations, as well as girls’ development representatives.
• Working within specific guidelines, e.g. equal opportunities, health and safety, child protection.
• Offering coaching and supervision when appropriate.
• Working to promote girls’ rugby in Houston through the development of promotional materials, the promotion of various events and initiatives, maintaining an online promotional presence, etc.
• Working with Rugby Texas staff to grow and develop girls’ rugby in Houston through strategic efforts.
• Working with USA Rugby Youth and High School staff to obtain best practices and strategic direction in growing girls’ rugby in the U.S.
• Combining efforts with the Girls Rugby Development Interns in Houston and Austin to promote overall growth.
• All other duties as assigned
• Excellent organizational ability and effective communication skills.
• Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
• Able to work and consult with a wide range of professionals and partners.
• Ability to use initiative to achieve outcomes.
• Demonstrate a sound knowledge of sports development principles.
• Awareness of key issues relating to growing the game of rugby.
• Experience of working with the voluntary sports club sector and the delivery of coach education and development programs.
• Decision Making – Ability to make decisions and analyze impact in relation to outcomes.
• Self Development – You keep up to date with the latest issues, trends and advances in the field of sport development.
• Customer Orientation – You provide a professional, polite and high quality service.
• Motivation – You create a good team spirit and know how to motivate others.
• Forward thinking – Ability to plan ahead to ensure effective programming.
• Experience of developing clubs.
• Communicates with internal/external parties in a manner which builds confidence in our ability to deliver as an organization.
• Communicates consistently in a positive and influential manner.
• Communicates information to the right people, in the right style, at the right time.
• Builds productive working relationships with internal and external colleagues.
• Works with others in a manner which gives them confidence in your intentions.
• Understands and meets the needs of others.
Planning and Organizing:
• Recognizes the need to be flexible in order to meet changing priorities.
• Uses a systematic approach to make efficient use of time and manage workload.
• Develop and supports collaborative working across and within teams.
• Utilizes shared capability within the team.
• Facilitates the completion of team goals.
• Values and makes use of the skills, knowledge and experience of all the teams they work with.
• Maintains a high standard of work and seeks to continuously improve.
• Focuses personal attention on the specific details that are critical to achieving results.