The exact wording is copied below, but in essence it allows a player to return to the game after having been substituted off. The team is still restricted to a total of five substitutions during the game. [This includes any extra time – there are no additional substitutes permitted during additional playing time.]
The Exception that allows a replacement for a player with a blood injury remains, even after a team has made all five of its allowed substitutions.
The Law that allows a temporary replacement for head injury assessment (which is referenced in this Variation) IS NOT APPROVED FOR DOMESTIC USE.
Chair, USA Rugby Law sub-committee
SEVENS LAW VARIATIONS
3.4 Players nominated as substitutes
- A team may nominate up to five replacements/substitutes.
- A team may substitute or replace up to five players.
- A team may substitute the same player more than once as long as no more than 5 substitutions are made in total. See 3.13 for exception
3.13 Substituted players rejoining the match
If a player is substituted, that player may return to play in that match under the following circumstances:
- Up to 5 tactical substitutions per game
- In addition to which players may return to play when replacing:
- a player with a blood injury in accordance with Law 3.11
- a player undertaking a Head Injury Assessment in accordance with Law 3.12. NOT IN EFFECT FOR DOMESTIC COMPETITIONS