As referenced in our email last week transmitting the schedule, we are hoping to schedule some friendly tournaments in the fall, if we can get in to Stage 5 by then. This is an invitation for your Club to bid on hosting such a tournament. Please use the bid form found at https://texasrugbyunion.com/resources/rrrctru-event-hosting-application/. Please see “The Details” below with instructions on completing the form with alternative tournament dates. Bids are due by 5PM on Wed., Oct. 21, 2020.
A. The Concept:
These would be one-day, friendly, intra-region tournaments in the North, Central and South regions. You will need access to at least two rugby pitches, plus a warm up area.
The focus of the tournaments on the men’s side will be on D2 and below. The women’s brackets will be geared toward player development, allowing for players to play for multiple teams and for rolling subs. If you are a men’s or women’s D1 Club and want to both host and schedule a D1 match on the same date as the tournament, that’s fine, provided there is sufficient field space for both.
TRU will cover refs, but other expenses and tournament logistics are on the Host Club. Charging of entry fees is allowed, but are capped at $150/team. Note that TRRA may also be using these tournaments to train new or returning referees.
B. The Details:
Here’s how it would work:
1. Host Club picks 2 to 3 of the following Saturdays on which you would be willing to host a tournament, if permitted under the Return to Play Guidelines. Available tournament dates are Nov. 7, 14, 21, and Dec. 5 & 12. When you complete the bid form, please check “Other” in response to the “Have you ever hosted a Championship event?” question, and fill in 2 to 3 of the dates listed above as alternative dates on which your Club would be willing to host, if selected. If we can’t play by the first alternative date, the tournament date would roll to the next alternative date.
2. Upon being awarded the right to host, the Host Club would need to start promoting the tournament, and signing up Clubs to play. It is up to the Host Club on whether to collect entry fees at the time Clubs signup. However, any entry fees collected must be escrowed until it’s clear the tournament can go forward under the RTP Guidelines, as determined by the TRU RTP Task Force. If we can’t play until January, then the Host Club will have to make refunds. The idea of getting the sign ups early is to allow you to complete the tournament brackets. 20 or 30 minute halves are fine; the main thing is to get teams match time.
3. The Host Club can decide how many teams you will allow in the tournament, based on field and warm-up space and match duration. Teams from within the sub-region where the tournament will be held (North, South, Central) get preference on spots in the tournament, if they sign up by the deadline. Teams from outside the sub-region can fill the bracket on a first-paid, first-to-play basis, after the initial signup deadline. When they sign up, Teams must commit to playing on all alternative dates for the tournament.
4. Two weeks before each potential tournament date, the RTP Task Force will make a call on whether the date will hold. We will need to be in Stage 5 by the date of the tournament, and in Stage 4 for at least 2 full weeks before that so teams can get in 4-5 regular training sessions before any tournament. The home state of any team that signs up to play in a tournament must also be in Stage 5 by the date of the tournament in order for such team to play.
5. If we are not in Stage 5 by the first date selected for a tournament, the tournament date will automatically roll over to the next tournament date.
Please submit your bid by 5PM on Wed., Oct. 21, 2020 if you are interested in hosting. Should you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Dave Dodge at DDodge@texasrugbyunion.com.