In an effort to support the growing competitive landscape of women’s rugby within the US, the Texas Rugby Union is excited to announce their partnership with Mid-America Rugby Union (MARFU) to participate in the 2022 U23 National All-Star Competition in June. With Rugby World Cup 2021 taking place later this month in New Zealand and eyes on the Rugby World Cup 2029 possibly taking place in the United States, our Unions are excited to provide a pathway for the next generation of elite women.
UPDATED – This competition is open to players 18-23. Please note players who are 23 must have been 22 on January 1, 2022 to be eligible. Players must be a member of the TRU, MARFU or reside in Louisiana or Nebraska. If players are not Union members, there will be a nominal non-Union fee in order to participate. In addition, players must attend at least one selection camp, as well as be available for the team training camp, pre-assembly and USA events. Details for these events are below:
Virtual Introduction Recording/Presentation
Learn more about the Central South U23 Mustangs, meet the coaching staff, and ask questions on March 6 @ 7pm CST.
One day camps – Note each is a Sunday
- March 20 – Selection Camp @ Houston SaberCats in Houston, TX
- April 3 – Selection Camp @ University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK
- April 10 – Selection Camp @ Liberty North High School in Liberty, MO
Selected squad only
- May 14 & 15 @ University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK
- June 7-10 – Pre-assembly camp prior to Divisional Playoffs – Venue TBC
USA Rugby National All Stars Events
Selected squad only
- June 11-12 – Divisional Playoffs – Venue TBC
- June 24-26 – Championship Semifinals & Finals – Lemont, Ill
USA U23 Invitational Event
Only players selected by USA coaching staff
- July 16-24 (tentative) – University Cup Competition with Canada
- Lachlan Ferguson – Head Coach
- Mary Swanstrom – Set Piece & Contact Skills
- Holly Iker – Defense
- KJ Abel – Forwards & Open Play
- Jody Lawrence – Analysis
- Oksana “Ox” Goretaya – Backs
- Marie Wilson – Team Manager
Program funding is under review between the TRU and MARFU. Players should prepare for individual costs such as camp fees, travel, food, accommodations, etc. There will be opportunities for players to bring in sponsorship or donations to offset the potential player costs. Once funding is finalized, players will receive communication about player cost expectations. We do not want costs to be a deterrent from participation, there will be a process to request grant assistance.
Players should fill out the interest form before any event as we want to learn more about you! Video of players can be sent in lieu of selection camp attendance, but must be sent by April 1 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions, please reach out to Marie Wilson, Team Manager.