The Head Coach is responsible for the day-to-day execution and planning of the DI/D2 Women’s Rugby Program at the Austin Valkyries. Reporting to the President of the Austin Valkyries while maintaining certain autonomy, the Head Coach will oversee key areas of the program, including practice planning, player training, player/team development, coordination of team play, coaching tactics/strategy, and assistant coach oversight if applicable. The program must operate within the framework of USA Rugby and TRU (Texas Rugby Union) and align with the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the Austin Valkyries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend weekly practices on Monday/Wednesday from 7pm-9pm
- Attend games/tournaments set up by the match secretary and board leaders, typically falling on Saturdays
- Comply with and enforce all laws, policies, rules, and regulations set forth by the Austin Valkyries Board, TRU, and USA Rugby
- Maintain an active program that promotes good sportsmanship, player development, and overall team growth
- Promote team culture and club maintenance with rules and enforcement in place
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assistant coaches and support staff
- Build and sustain positive relationships with athletes, former players, alumni, and staff
- Represent the Austin Valkyries positively when interacting with the community, alumni, club assistant coaches, captains, media, and general public
- Level 200 USA Rugby coaching certificate (preferred but can help obtain)
- Relevant experience in coaching and athletic administration (women-specific program experience is a plus but not necessary)
- Superior organizational skills with demonstrated competence in program development, administration, and decision-making
- Demonstrates interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team relationship and with diverse populations of athletes, staff, alumni, public, and the media
- Commitment to the Mission and Vision of the Austin Valkyries
- Paid position
- Majority of travel expenses covered
- Opportunity for growth in obtaining sports-specific certifications
- Dedicated field, gym, training, and social location
- Dedicated board members and leaders to help you achieve coaching goals
The primary goal of the Austin Valkyries is to develop an amateur program that facilitates the recognition and growth of interest and participation in the game of rugby. The club is committed to aiding all individuals who participate in achieving a positive attitude about themselves and increasing their physical conditioning, as well as creating an interest in team sports. The club operates within the laws, expectations, and traditions of the United States of America Rugby Union.
The objective will be to present a quality team environment for players who display good sportsmanship and hospitality towards their fellow teammates, leaders, visiting players, referees and spectators. We will strive as a team to be successful on the field and to provide a positive atmosphere for individual and team growth.
Please email your Rugby Resume to President@Austinvalkyries.com.