August 31, 2011
Changes to Eligibility Regulations
USA Rugby has made changes to its eligibility regulations for the upcoming competitive season in an effort to define and clarify guidelines for play in all divisions. The complete eligibility rules in effect for the 2011-12 season can be found online at usarugby.org. It is encouraged that all members review these regulations in full, as the information below is only a brief summary of the changes.
Some of the changes include:
Power to Amend or Make Further Provisions During the Season
• Extends to each Eligibility Committee the authority to revise rules during the competitive season for unforeseen concerns that conflict with intent of existing bylaws, particularly if national playoff status is likely to be affected.
Player CIPP Deadlines
• Senior Men’s CIPP deadline pushed up to March 15.
• Women’s CIPP deadline for senior club championships moved to October 1.
Senior Club Player Eligibility / Waivers
• Qualifications for a mid-season transfer tightened to reflect allowed only for non-rugby related, extraordinary circumstances.
Senior Clubs Fielding Multiple Sides
• Five criteria define the manner by which players may compete in different divisions during the competitive season. These guidelines will help retain the integrity of the competition by allowing player movement downward for development, building depth but not to stack a lower division.
• Increases to three (3) the minimum number of Qualifying Matches played at the divisional or lower level for eligibility in the post-season.
• Stipulates any player who has played in 50% or more of a club’s Qualifying Matches in a higher division is not eligible to compete in a lower division in the post-season.
• Clarifies conditions by which players may compete in different divisions on the same day or weekend.
*** TRU will be following these MINIMUM GUIDELINES as published by USA Rugby. Any other requirements that are in addition to these minimums, will be published and distributed accordingly.