Promotion and Relegation in Red River Rugby Conference Men’s Club Divisions – 15s only
The following regulations apply to Senior Men’s Club teams in good standing with the Red River Rugby Conference (RRRC) which compete in USA Rugby Divisions 1, 2, and 3.
A club’s Divisional team shall be automatically promoted to the next highest available division if, at the end of the current season:
- The team won the USA Rugby National Championship in their current division OR
- The team won the RRRC title in their current division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team won the RRRC title in their current division AND had an average point differential of +28 points/game or greater in league games within that division.
A club’s Divisional team shall be automatically relegated to the next lowest available division if, at
the end of the current season:
- The team finished last in their current division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team finished with an average point differential of 28 points/game or worse in league games within that division for the second consecutive year OR
- The team finished last in their current division AND had an average point differential of 28 points/game or worse in league games within that division OR
- The team forfeited more than one league match in their current division due to insufficient numbers or refusal to play scheduled matches.
Exception: promotion or relegation is not automatic if the result is two teams from the same club competing in the same division. If the relegation of a club’s Ateam will result in that team being in the same division as their Bteam, their Bteam may also be relegated.
It is possible for more than one team in a given division to be promoted or relegated within the same year. Club teams that are not in good standing, e.g. failure to comply with USA Rugby registration requirements, may be relegated even if none of the above criteria apply.
Relegation in Division 1 at the Conclusion of the 2013-2014 Season
At the conclusion of the 2013-14 season, the bottom two teams in the standings in Division 1 will be relegated to Division 2, notwithstanding the provisions above. For the 201415 season and beyond, the provisions above will apply.
Appeals and voluntary promotion/relegation
A club may appeal automatic promotion or relegation or it may request voluntary promotion or relegation to a new division. Criteria that may be considered by the RRRC Competition Committee when ruling on an appeal may include, but are not limited to, forfeits, margin of loss/victory, club size and location, coaching, anticipated player turnover, past performance, and whether the club fields teams in other divisions.
Procedure and Notice
The RRRC will notify all clubs of the preliminary divisional alignments for the upcoming competitive cycle no later than 21 days after the completion of the USA Rugby Club Championships.
Each club shall then have 21 days in which to submit a written appeal regarding the division in which any of its teams have been placed.
The RRRC Competitions Committee will rule on any appeals and notify all clubs of the final divisional alignment no later than August 1st.