TOLA Sevens Announcement:
The creation of the TOLA Sevens Series has grown from infancy to a highly desired competition over the past several years. As this competition continues to grow and evolve alongside the increased focus on the Seven-a-side variation of Rugby, the time has come to formally merge the TRU and TOLA. Under this partnership, the TOLA structure will be used as the foundation upon which the TRU 7’s series will be based.
This merger will begin taking place during competition this Summer and will be complete by next year’s sevens season. The competition merger committee will be formed by Filip Keuppens who, in addition to being an original founder of the TOLA Series and current chairperson, has been very active in sevens as a player, coach and referee for many years at many levels. Filip and myself will enlist other TOLA and TRU officials and other key personnel to ensure that key operational items are employed and proper goals and objectives are upheld.
As with any competition there are growing pains that come with along with these successes. As the number of Tournaments increase from year to year and Clubs desiring to be Hosts increases at an equally high pace, there comes a time when there are simply not enough dates or resources to support all of these great events.
Part of the fundamentals that will be considered, weighed and resolved are:
- Application and advance notice to be a Hosts
- Criteria that Hosts must meet in order to be part of the Series
- Number of Events during the summer
- Competition Format being size of tourneys, eligibility, discipline and common sizing event to event
- Referee resources provided by the TRRA
- Referee resources provided by host Club
- Standardization of Referee compensation (TRRA Assignments) versus Club provided referee’s (aka Volunteers)
- TOLA / TRU recognized tournaments versus Club organized “Social” tournaments
- Creation of Club and Collegiate Championships
In the interim….PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ANY TOURNAMENT THAT IS REQUESTING TRRA ASSIGNED REFEREES SHOULD COMPLETE A PRE-TOURNAMENT APPLICATION 30 DAYS IN ADVANCE OF THE EVENT. As always, go to Referee Corner on the TRU website to find the form or other TRRA related information and should be prepared to provide, at a minimum, an equal amount of club provided volunteer officials to the amount of TRRA sanctioned officials for any event.
Please direct all comments, concerns and questions to Filip Keuppens email: FKeuppens@texasrugbyunion.com
Filip Keuppens, TOLA Director
David McPhail, TRU President